Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Fun and Trouble with Friends by Ariyand Aminpour

The Fun and Troubles with Friends The sunshine glistened, the island life stirred with the heat, and a perfect summer day began. It was the time of summer when my family made their yearly trip to Nantucket. My brother and I woke, got on our bikes, and went to meet up with Navide's friend Evan. So the three of us were riding our bikes in town and I was on the badly made brick sidewalk full of hustling and bustling tourists on their way. I had to avoid them and swerved into the road where a black Jeep had to slam on the brakes on the bumpy, gray cobblestone road as I cut it off. The young guy honked and chased us down the street in his car as Navide and Evan yelled at him and making specific angered hand gestures because he almost hit me. We were all panting as we finished going as fast as cheetahs away from the huge black jeep coming after us. I caught up with Evan and Navide and said, "Did you see that? Can you believe that jerk!" Evan then shouted out so the same guy riding down the street would hear, "Yeah the guys a complete idiot!" So our goofy adventure started there as we made for the island's only high school. We got there and did tricks on our bikes on the ramps and jumps in the skate park. This was bad planning because I never thought that I was riding a mountain bike not a stunt bike. So as the three of us did tricks and stunts my blue, heavy Raleigh mountain bike started making squeaky noises and wobbled when I pedaled across the skate park which was as smooth and even as a frozen lake. I hopped off my bike to see what happened, and I had popped one of my tires and even worse it was the inner tube of the tire. Evan felt bad so he took me into the cold, new ice rink of the high school and bought me this strange looking pink Japanese soda that had looked strange at first but tasted amazing as the fizzy pink juice was inhaled by me. I was sure that gulping down the Japanese soda was like drinking a magic rainbow. Even though the ice rink was brand new the smell of feet and sweat filled my nostrils. There were black and white skates and pads piled lazily on top of one another on the shelves and in cold, gray lockers everywhere. We then left and I ran along pushing my bike as Evan led us to the closest bike shop to the high school that could fix it, and we ran hoping that they would still be open to get my bike a new tire. Though it turned out they were closed by the time we got there with their "sorry we're closed" sign hanging on the inside of the locked red wooden door. The two thoughts that ran through my mind as I read the sign was "This blows! How am I supposed to get home?!" Then we asked this complete stranger across the street if he had a pump so I could get home. We saw he was polishing and cleaning his turquoise pick-up truck with a clothe and we thought it wasn't that horrible of an idea and it was our only one too. We went up to him and my brother asked, "Excuse us, do you by any chance have a pump so that my brother can get home on his bike, Mister?" The generous man so nicely told us, "Yes of course, I have a pump in my garage for you guys." The man lent us his machine air pump that gave my tire enough air to get me back home to he inn and we were relieved when we got home o.k. When we got there we told my parents that I blew my tire on the horrendously rocky cobblestones on the bumpy ride back. I had to tell them this because if they knew I was fooling around and I popped it they would kill me and I would never hear the end of it. Then we got inside the small inn and got changed for dinner because we were going out in the humidity of the bright, lively night. When I changed I saw that my Vineyard Vines cotton blue underwear was ripped all around evenly like a hula skirt. Obviously I learned I should not go stunt biking again because my mountain bike and boxers were not made for it. After this day in the inn I thought about how great Evan and Navide were to me and that today told me if I was going to do something stupid again it would be with my two bros because they had my back and they were there for me. So we went on with our vacation and replaced my black, worn out, and old blown tire the next day in time for our six mile trip to Madaket Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment