Sunday, December 16, 2012

Is It Worth My Money? by John Zammito

Is it worth my money As I was waiting in my driveway off our rental cottage I was looking at the old shingles with barely any paint on them and thinking of how they slowly over time became bare of their rich brown color. When I finally came back to the world after being spaced out for about a solid ten minutes and I said to my mom “I am pumped”. I remembered that I was waiting for my new boat to come. My heart started racing faster than a cheetah running full speed. Earlier that day I finally convinced my mom to let me buy a row boat that I had seen on a main road for the past week that had my name written all over it. I was very excited as I was waiting for the old man to arrive with my old dull colored blue and silver boat on my rusty old trailer. As I quickly after having another 30 second zone out I realized that my eye was starting to burn because of the sun rays beaming off of the blue Sienna caravan that I was facing about 3 feet in front of me. After coming back to the real world once again I waited for the faint rumble of an old truck coming down sawyer lake road. Once I first heard the bald tires squeaking on the nicely paved road I jumped out of my skin; the boat was here. As this old man with 7 1-2 teeth came out of his old truck I ran to the boat. It was finally here on a cinderblock that his son that accompanied him to help with the physical part of the delivery put the head of the trailer on, I was as pumped as a basketball and as worried as a soldier with no ammo in the middle of a firefight at the same time. This boat played tricks on my eyes at first sight because I thought that I bought a row boat but ended up being left with a speed boat. My mom had, John this man is taking the boat back, written all over her face but thankfully the man was quick to come back with an extended hand and the faint words of “hello, my name is John Flynt, and you are”? My mom slowly but surely came back with “hello, I am Kathleen nice to meet you.” They started talking and my mom told Mr. Flynt how I said to my mom that the boat was a row boat and that I could row it by myself. When she saw the massive size of this boat she thought that I would need a motor worth thousands of dollars but when she asked he said that a trolling motor would do the trick. As he pulled away in his old squeaky red truck my mom said “you are lucky” and we were off to Wal-Mart to buy a trolling motor.

No comments:

Post a Comment