Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Adventures of Super Bat-Boy by Ian Brown

"30 minutes 'till bed E-Man, brush your teeth and put your PJ's on... ok?" With those words, I sprint up to the base of the soft carpeted stairs as fast as a five year old's legs can go, and begin to hum the Batman theme song. I quickly climb the stairs, monkey style, skipping a stair every other hop. I run across the hall and lean against it. I peer into my sister's room, and carefully check for enemies. After realizing the coast is clear, I leap across the door way over to my own. I leap a couple more times and situate myself in the middle of my room. I take a short look around to check my perimeter for spies, but all I see is my bunk bed, with its dog print sheets, and my large brown, old, dresser, holding my Super PJ's. I walk in slo-mo and open it; grasping each knob and slowly open the double doors. Inside sits my Batman suit. They may look like PJ's on the outside, but when I put those bad boys on, I'm no longer Ian, I'm super Bat-Boy; the name my dad gave me when I first purchased them, in that glorious Marshall's in Norwell. I curl my toes against my old white, stinky carpet below me before slamming my legs into gear, and sprinting out the door. Since Super Bat-Boy has no fears, I run right by my sister's room, not even checking a single nook or cranny within. I begin to descend the stairs, leaping from one to the other, while my cape flaps in the wind. Before entering the kitchen, I take out my baterang (a small contraption that I made with an abundance of popsicle sticks and glue sticks) and have it ready knowing the Joker's accomplices are on the other side. I quietly take my first step through the door. Near the dining table I spot Haley, AKA the Snailer, a dangerous seven year old  foe with the ability to cover me in a mysterious goo coming from her nostrils. Since she has not seen me yet I decide to take her by surprise. I begin to sneak up on the applesauce-munching goon. I put my baterang back into my sticky pocket, and retract my human-gun; an invisible gun that has the power to change bad-guys into humans. Weirdly enough, it only seems to work on the Snailer and every time I use it on her she says something to the tune of me being annoying; it must be a side effect for her. Anyways, I continue sneaking until I am in range to take the shot. I crunch my fist and knock twice on the cold granite counter top in order to gain the Sailers attention. As she turns around sipping some apple sauce I take the shot, "peww." She instantly turns human, but that doesn't stop her from calling to her allies, The Mominator and Chaddy Daddy, "Dad, Mommmm! Ian's being annoying!" knowing that my cover has been blown, I jump into action. After ninja-rolling past the Snailer, I hop up to my feet and jump from the two steps that lead into our TV room. Before reaching the ground, I am picked out of the sky, suspended above the ground with two large hands around my shoulders. I turn around to see the eyes of of my nemesis staring down at me, Chaddy Daddy. He lifts me higher, before slamming me into the couch, allowing his team mate, The Mominator, to begin tickling me. I had no where to run, no where to hide; I'm surrounded... "Ian, it's time to go to bed," The Mominator said, in a half-giggle tone. Exhausted, I was forced to comply. Chaddy Daddy and Mominator, now Mom and Dad, took each of my tiny hands and grasped them in their adult hands. They walked me up the stairs to my bedroom, and tucked me in; pushing my down comforter beneath my body to create a cacoon of fluff around my body. They both gave me a kiss on the forehead. Before turning on my glade nightlight, dim and smelling of syrup mixed with green apples, my mom called out, "Good Night, don't let the bed bugs bite." I called in a half pitched groan, "In awhile crocodile." Followed by my dad adding, "Not to soon you big baboon." After a short giggle, I drift off to sleep, pulling my little Bat-Boy cape over my little Bat-Boy body... And like a bear, I fall into a motionless hibernation for the long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment