Sunday, December 16, 2012
Ouch by Joey Leydon
It was a foggy and muggy morning in the summer on Lake Winnapasakie and I was at the table mowing through my breakfast of pancakes, eggs, home fries, hash browns, and cereal with milk like a lawn mower as fast as possible because today was the day cousins Jimbo, Dave, and Dennis,Dad, and two brothers would go fishing. By the time I was finished with breakfast my brothers Stevie and Jimmie, Dad, and cousin Dave,Dennis, and Jimbo walked in and sat down at the table. They awakened from their deep sleep by the smell of the magical breakfast laid out for them. When I looked up from my food I saw that they they were already dressed after a lot of moaning that I heard from downstairs about getting up and their hair looked like they fell out of bed and rolled around on the floor. But they were still as estatic as I was for going fishing, but I was kind of worried because I went fishing the day before and my toe made a meal for a snapping turtle. What we were going to be fishing today were at least fish that were 2 feet long, and the occasional snapping turtle, and then release them back to the lake. We all laughed at that comment, but I was 7 at the time, so I couldn't really handle a fishing rod,
so I didn't know what was going to happen today.
About 5 minutes after we had finished eating breakfast we were down at the dock getting ready to cast out our lines."On the count of 3" my dad said,"1,2,3"
he shouted and he cast out. We had all casted out after that, but before I could cast out my fishing line, it went backwards behind me and I heard Jimbo's voice exclaim "Ouch". So I whipped around 180 degrees to see what happened and as I did that, the momentum of my fishing rod hit Dave, Dennis, Dad, Jimmie, and
Stevie in the back of the head, and they toppled into the water like a row of dominoes. When I turned around, I saw my hook had made a gash all along Jimbo's forehead w/ the gooey red stuff flowing out like a cherry kool-aid river. After cousins, brothers, and father got out from their dip, they immediately see Jimbo's forehead, and agree that the fishing is cancelled until tomorrow.
Jimbo got 10 stitches across his forehead and he cried while it happened, and he also cried when he got hit, so I can sometimes tease him about that. We did eventually go fishing the next day, but Jimbo decided not to go for his own safety of not getting hit with my deadly fishing rod. That day my fishing skills were tested and my clumsiness was also tested and I'm pretty sure I got a F on the test.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment