Sunday, December 16, 2012
Swerve! By Bobby Beniers
As I drifted through the warm air, I did not know quite what to think. At first, as I looked down and saw my brother hanging on to the flying tube, I screamed to my brother Matty. "This is so much fun!". "Ha ha" Matty chuckled back over the roaring waves, "give it a second, and it won't be as fun... Dad is letting Gianna drive." I winced at the terrifying news. The moment she got behind the wheel we sped up to at least 40 miles per hour. Soon enough, my hand began to slip off the soaked handle. Water poured into my open mouth, making my cheeks flutter. At that point, I finally realized Matty was right. We were in trouble!
I looked up towards the boat and saw my sister, Gianna, performing a 180 degree maneuver. Apparently, she was trying to try to throw us off the tube. I could detect a grin on her face that came from the enjoyment of giving her little brothers a friendly shove off the tube into Tricky Pond. My hand was now completely off the tube, except for my one pointer finger that managed to get a grip and make one last feeble attempt to hold on. Finally, I could no longer endure the bitter pain I felt flowing through my face and the sour ache in my eyes coming from the piercing water. So I gave up and let go. The moment my hand left the tube, I was launched into the air. I saw the boat swerve in the opposite direction, which sent Matty and the giant tube hurling back towards me. Matty had his hair soaked and was screaming at the top of his lungs when he came
plummeting towards me. Trying hard to grab onto something to get me out of the way did not do very much considering that I was a siting duck. I was soaring at least 5 feet above the surface of the water with nowhere to go except into the tube. I took one panicked breath and braced myself for the collision with the 40 pound tube and the 70 pound boy... WHACK... I hit my head, and that is when it went black. I fell into a state of nothingness and for me, nothing happened in that next 15 seconds I was out.
When I woke up, I was being pulled up onto the rough surface of the rental boat's floor. My dad placed a towel under my head, while my mom sat next to me tending to my wounds. I heard my mom keep repeating over and over, "Thank God for that life jacket."
Thoughts were shooting around my mind trying to figure out if I should be angry at my sister for hurting me with playful intentions, or if should get ready to ride again. I opened my eyes and saw Gianna and Matty standing over me looking very concerned. All of a sudden I sat up and looked at my mom and siblings. At first, they thought that I didn't recognize them, until they heard my next 7 words. "GIANNA! YOU MADE ME HIT MY HEAD!"
I decided to dismiss the fact that my sister just knocked me out because its no fun to be fighting on vacation. They sighed in relief of me being ok and we went about our vacation like any other crazy day with the Beniers Family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow great story.- jack nisbet
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this piece of art and the detail was really wonderful. Sean Feehily
ReplyDeleteAmazing...
ReplyDelete